October 23rd, 2010

Trinity Keeps Rolling, Defeats Ballard 56-21

Sarah Newell

CSN Staff Writer

Trinity Keeps Rolling, Defeats Ballard 56-21
photo by Sarah Menefee

Shamrocks get six TDs from Quick, Bishop, Dawkins

Trinity’s Marshall Stadium hosted the Louisville East End Battle Friday night, as the Shamrocks won a big district game over Ballard High School 56-21.

The Shamrocks' James Quick, Derek Bishop, and Dalyn Dawkins all scored two touchdowns a piece in the win, as Trinity donned all black uniforms during a game they promoted as a "black out."

The two teams traded possessions early after unsuccessful drives led to forced punts. But with 5:06 left in the first quarter, wide receiver Quick got the Trinity crowd on its feet with a crucial first down. Four minutes later, Quick found himself in a position he's become very accustomed to this season - on the other end of a 10-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Travis Wright, to make the score 7-0 with 58 seconds to go in the first quarter.

In the second quarter, with 7:44 left on the clock, Trinity kept the momentum going with another touchdown pass from Wright, this time to senior wide receiver Ryan Steffey. Trinity threatened to run away with the game, but Ballard didn't quit and managed to put together an 11-play, 86-yard drive that was capped by a 12-yard touchdown run from Bruins quarterback Moez Crawford, cutting the Trinity lead to 14-7.

With Ballard gaining confidence and hoping to take a seven-point game into the locker room, Quick ignited the Shamrock sideline and the Marshall Stadium crowd with an 80-yard return for a touchdown on the ensuing kickoff, in essence taking the wind right back out of the Ballard sails.

Trinity set the tone of the second half right out of the halftime gate, as the Shamrock defense forced a three and out for the potent Ballard offense, and on Trinity's second offensive play of the half, Dawkins rumbled for a 35-yard touchdown run and a 28-7 Shamrock lead.

Ballard's Devontae Parker, one of Kentucky's top high school football receivers, got into the mix with 7:49 to go in the third quarter and hauled in a 30-yard touchdown reception from Bruins back-up QB Christian Wallace, again cutting the Trinity lead in half, 28-14. But the two teams traded touchdowns (a Bishop nine-yard run for Trinity and an AJ Camp 11-yard reception from Wallace) to push the shootout's score to 35-21.

The Bruins had a shot to get back into the game one more time in the final period, but a questionable fake punt call from deep in their own territory faulted, giving the ball back to Trinity just 25 yards from the endzone. And the Rocks didn't squander the opportunity. Bishop scored his second touchdown of the night on a 25-yard run, sparking three straight touchdowns from Trinity to end the game, including an A Reynolds 25-yard interception return and another Dawkins rushing touchdown to blow the game open and give Head Coach Bob Beatty's team another big win in this 2010 campaign.

The Rocks overcame a 200-plus receiving yards from Mr. Football front runner Parker to get the win. This was Ballard's 22nd consecutive loss to the Rocks and Trinity's 47th consectuve district win.

Trinity now stands with an 8-1 record and will play against Lexington Catholic next week in the team's last game of the regular season.


Recent Articles