November 11th, 2010
"20 Key Questions" With Maya Hardin
Holy Cross junior, like soccer, takes on Questions for first time
Each week, LouisvilleCatholicSports.com will be getting to know a new student-athlete from the area by asking him/her a series of 20 key questions - some in-depth, some lighthearted - that will provide insight into the thoughts and personalities of the boys and girls who are doing great things on and off the local courts, fields, tracks, and courses. Below are the "20 Key Questions," brought to you by Key Financial Mortgage LLC.
High school is about building character, developing habits, and discovering your talents.
Until a few months ago, Holy Cross High School junior Maya Hardin was well aware of her athletic ability. She was a basketball and softball player. Class and teammates even referred to her as "the beast" for her aggressive demeanor on the playing field and court.
But Hardin wasn't content with just being a double-sport athlete. So she decided to give soccer a try....and Cougars girls soccer Head Coach Ed Pennix couldn't have been more pleased.
Playing soccer for the first time in her life, Hardin contributed in a big way during her initial attempt at what can be a challenging game to learn. And by season's end, Hardin's contributions had led Holy Cross to a district championship, a 3-1 record in regional play, and a spot in the 6th Region postseason tournament. She even filled in as a goalkeeper for the season's final games after an injury to regular Holy Cross GK Kim Mingus.
Not bad for a first timer.
The athlietc Hardin is also involved at school, where she is active on the student council, maintains a 3.8 GPA, and provides frequent hours of community service (as you'll learn below). Hardin, who is considering Bellarmine University for college, recently took part in the "20 Key Questions" segment for LouisvilleCatholicSports.com, and her answers are below.
1. What is your favorite pump up music on game day?
I love a lot of hip hop music, but it will be I got hard in the paint by Waka flaka Flame
2. What is your ideal meal/snack before a game?
Powerade and Sun Chips
3. Cats or Cards?
Neither. I like Duke!!
4. Which athlete do you look up to on a college/professional level?
5. What is your favorite movie quote?
Monica: “It just... it just seems like you're always riding me.”
Coach Davis: [pauses, then speaks] “You think I'd go hoarse for a player with no potential? When I ignore you... then you worry.” - Love & Basketball.
6. How does your faith impact your approach to sports?
That God gives me the strength and motivation to go out and give my all for my team.
7. What keeps you motivated?
8. All time favorite board game?
9. Blackberry or iPhone?
10. Favorite Facebook function?
11. What is your favorite reality TV show?
12. What is your favorite pro team?
13. What is your best quality/characteristic?
14. Gatorade or Powerade? Which flavor?
Powerade - Sour Melon
15. What is your favorite hour of the day?
3 p.m when we practice.
16. Best smart phone app?
17. Where is your favorite place to volunteer/provide community service?
18. What is one hidden talent that you possess?
I can sing.
19. What is one thing you wish scientists would invent?
A cure for Cancer
20. What is your proudest athletic moment?
Playing in the All-“A” Championship Game