November 5th, 2010

Leicht, Lucas Out As Colts Roll 51-6

Brad Knoop

Staff Writer

Leicht, Lucas Out As Colts Roll 51-6
photo by Brad Knoop

Team's top RBs sit, but DeSales still wins big

The two young men who saddled the DeSales Colts to the District Five title in Class 2A during the regular season had to tough it out Friday night, watching their team in the first round of the KHSAA playoffs. 

Senior Garrit Leicht hopes to return to action in the coming weeks, but he is still nursing a knee injury.  Senior Jeremy Lucas suffered a season ending thumb injury last week against Southern.  Lucas ruptured the ligament that stabilizes the thumb, an injury called Gamekeeper’s Thumb.

DeSales coach Mark Sander said it’s hard to watch those two competitors watch from the sideline. 

“There is nothing you can say.  You know they want to play the game, even if they are hurt, even with a cast on, they want to get in there and play,” Sander said following the Colts’ first-round 51-6 romp over Lloyd Memorial.  “But I will tell you what it has done for us.  It has made everybody else energized knowing they have to step in now.  You lose those two guys, but it’s like losing four positions, two on offense and two on defense.” 

The loss of Lucas and Leicht didn’t stop DeSales (7-4) from running roughshod over Lloyd Memorial (2-9).  Including the opening score – a 33-yard field goal by senior Marcos Morales – eight different Colts got into the scoring column.  That field goal was a result of DeSales recovering a Lloyd Memorial fumble on the kickoff.

On the Colts next possession, junior Corey LaFever hightailed down the field on a 46-yard touchdown run to put DeSales in control 10-0 in the first quarter.  Fellow junior Matt Chea blasted through on a 10-yard score to open the second quarter.  Junior quarterback Jared Nauert raced in for an 11 yard score and the Colts were on easy street, leading 24-6 at the half.

On the opening drive of the second half, junior Adam Byrd raced 17 yards for a touchdown.  A nine-yard touchdown pass from Nauert to sophomore James Jarvis pushed the Colts lead to 37-6.  Another DeSales score came on a one yard push by senior Nathan Greenwell, and the Colts led 44-6 after three quarters.

Three underclassmen led the charge on the Colts final drive of the game in the fourth quarter.  Sophomore Kevin Crossan ran hard, carrying the ball three times on the final drive.  Freshman Dillon Sheeks raced 25-yards to what looked like a score, but he was marked down at the one-yard line.  That set up an easy score for freshman quarterback Nathan Roush and a 51-6 Colts lead, which was the final score. 

“Everybody who dressed got on the field tonight  We want to have fun and treat our kids right.  We are not interested in running the score up,” Sander said.

The Colts host Covington Holy Cross (6-5) next week in the second round.  The Indians beat Lloyd Memorial 50-6 when those teams met during the regular season.  The game will be played at duPont Manual Stadium.


Recent Articles