November 6th, 2010

Hedges' TD Wins Class AA Battle of Saints

Chris Jung

Senior Writer

Hedges' TD Wins Class AA Battle of Saints
photo by Chris Jung

St. Agnes-St. Francis downs Notre Dame 8-0

The Class AA Toy Bowl between St. Agnes-St Francis and Notre Dame Academy was also billed as the “Battle of the Saints” on Saturday in this 5th & 6th grade showdown at St. Xavier High School.

Matching a pair of schools that both share the same mascot, St. Agnes and Notre Dame only needed one touchdown to decide a Toy Bowl champion. And in the end, that lone score belonged to the eventual Class AA champion St. Agnes.

Sam Hedges’ 37-yard touchdown run with 7:09 to go in the third quarter, paired with kicker Paul Porter’s two-point conversion gave St. Agnes an 8-0 victory in a battle of evenly-matched teams. But this low-scoring affair was not even close to being the snoozer the final score portrayed.

Both Saints defenses were ironclad throughout the afternoon, as both Agnes and Notre Dame used goal line stands and stopped fourth down conversion attempts to keep the score tight and touchdowns off the board.

St. Agnes’ Matthew Logsdon set the defensive-themed tone early by tackling Notre Dame standout athlete Alec Brothers just short of a first down on a 4th and short with 5:41 to go in the first quarter.

With 3:41 to go in the second quarter, Notre Dame was on the move once more, but the Agnes-Francis defense stepped up again. On another 4th down, this time a fourth and goal on the six-yard line, Brothers completed a pass to Cooper Scott at the one-yard line, but Scott was met quickly by Barry Banta and Logsdon, keeping the NDA Saints out of the end zone yet again.

The first half saw a mere four first downs combined between both teams, and only 46 total yards between the two offenses, keeping the score at 0-0 at the half.

But just one minute into the second half, the aforementioned Hedges electrified the St. Agnes crowd by getting the corner on the left side and streaking up the sideline in front of his team for a 37-yard romp.

A rattled Notre Dame team had trouble bouncing back. On the next NDA possession, two straight false start penalties forced the red and white Saints to start 1st and 20 without even completing an official play on the drive. Then, facing a 3rd and long, the Notre Dame quarterback was intercepted by Tyler Barnes, who returned it to the Notre Dame 24-yard line.

With 1:11 to go in the third, Notre Dame was given a new lease on life after St. Agnes’ Banta was stopped at the goal line on a fourth down play by Ahmad Johnson, keeping the score at 8-0 and NDA still in the game.

The two teams traded punts early in the fourth quarter, and Notre Dame failed on back-to-back halfback pass attempts with five minutes to go. Then with 3:59 remaining in the game, Brothers was thrown to in triple coverage, and a ball he deflected on an attempted completion fell into the arms of Jack Koch for another St. Agnes interception.

Notre Dame got one last shot late in the game, as Head Coach Tom Scott’s team took over deep in its own territory with 1:58 to go. But on a 4th & 15 and facing its last hopes, Notre Dame threw a deep ball that was knocked down by Logsdon and Griffin Pedigo to seal the game and give the Saints of St. Agnes-St. Francis of Assisi the Joe Rieber Trophy.


Recent Articles