October 18th, 2011

Rocks Earn Regional Rematch With Titans

Holly Freeland

Staff Writer

Rocks Earn Regional Rematch With Titans
photo by Holly Freeland

Trinity defeats Fern Creek 8-0 in 7th Region semis

The Trinity High School soccer team got the early edge in the boys soccer 7th Regional Tournament semifinals on Tuesday , defeating Fern Creek 8-0 at Trinity’s Marshall Stadium.

Less than seven minutes into the match the Shamrocks got on the scoreboard taking the 1-0 lead after junior Luke Van Nevel drove a long cross to the opposite side of the field as fellow junior Eli Curtin was able to nail the cross-field pass into the back of the net.

With just over 18 minutes to go in the half, Junior Abdulla Abdullahi sent a ball in for Sphiwe Zwane to finish, giving Trinity the 2-0 lead. Abdullahi would get his own goal just a few moments later as he scored an unassisted shot from 25 yards out, sailing past the keeper and into the back side netting.

Trinity head coach Barry Swearingen had the luxury of using the lead to his advantage, subbing nearly the entire team with 10 minutes left to go in the half. Though the faces and jersey numbers changed, the intensity level remained impressively high as Trinity took the 3-0 lead into halftime.

Needing just less than 8 minutes to score in the latter half of the game, Trinity took the 4-0 advantage as Zwane scored his second goal of the match. After several miscues and deflections in the Fern Creek Box, Zwane’s electrifying half-volley flew by the Tiger’s goalie. Five minutes later, Zwane would assist on Connor Curtin’s first goal of the game, giving the home team the 5-0 lead.

With just over 21 minutes left to go in the game, Senior Daniel Vasallo scored his first of two goals after Curtin’s masterful dribbling into the Fern Creek defensive third. As Curtin’s shot was blocked by the goalie, Vasallo was there to capitalize and finish the rebound into the back of the net. Four minutes later after a give and go with Sophomore Cobie Qualah, Vasallo got his second goal of the game, giving Trinity the 7-0 lead.

A mismatch from the beginning, Fern Creek wasn’t able to get any kind of offensive flow as Trinity dominated possession from the first whistle. Often times throughout, the Tigers found themselves with as many as six defenders back, trying to stop the offensive assault from the Shamrocks.

The 8th and final goal was not scored by a Shamrock, but instead from a Fern Creek own goal as Curtin once again took control of the sideline and dribbled up to cross in front of the goal. Before a fellow Shamrock could get to the ball, and inadvertent flick from a Tiger defender ended up in the back of their own net.

Trinity advanced to play Louisville Collegiate on Wednesday at 6pm in a rematch of last year's 7th Regional Championship.


Recent Articles