December 21st, 2011
"20 Questions" With Miranda Mercke
Sacred Heart senior swimmer takes on the Questions
Each week, LouisvilleCatholicSports.com will be getting to know a new student-athlete from the area by asking him/her a series of 20 questions that will provide insight into the thoughts and personalities of the boys and girls who are doing great things on and off the local courts, fields, tracks, and courses.
To see past editions of "20 Questions," visit: http://catholicsportsnet.com/louisville/page/20-questions
Name: Miranda Mercke
- Age: 18
- Current school: Sacred Heart Academy
- Year in school: Senior
- Parish/grade school: Our Lady of Lourdes
- High school GPA: 3.6
- Parents' names: Sally and David Mercke
- About Miranda: She is a senior at SHA and has signed to swim at the University of Missouri, where Miranda will also be studying Journalism. She has been a competitive swimmer since age 4 and loves to compete.
1. What is your proudest athletic moment?
When I qualified for Junior Nationals in the 100 breaststroke when I was 13 years old.
2. What is your ideal meal/snack before a game?
I always try to stick to a diet of complex carbs and protein. I eat a lot of pasta and lean meats, as well as eggs and peanut butter. I also eat power bars before a race.
3. If you were trying out for American Idol, what would be your "go to" song?
"Someone Like You" by Adele
4. Which athlete do you look up to on a college/professional level? Why?
Rebbeca Soni because she is an Olympic breast stroke swimmer.
5. What is your favorite movie quote?
“The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.” –Elf
6. How does your faith impact your approach to sports?
I believe everything happens for a reason. I also treat my competitors with respect.
7. What is your favorite cartoon character?
PB & J Otter
8. All time favorite board game?
9. Droid, iPhone, or Blackberry? Favorite app?
iPhone; A music downloading app to listen to music.
10. What is your favorite local (non chain) restaurant in Louisville?
11. What is your favorite reality TV show?
12. What is your greatest fear?
Losing someone I am very close to
13. What is your best quality/characteristic?
My determination and my work ethic.
14. Favorite junk/comfort food?
15. What is your favorite hour of the day? Why?
7 o’clock at night when I am home spending time with my family.
16. What is your nickname and how did you get it?
My nickname is "Mirns". My best friend Kelsey Buese and I always used to abbreviate every word and name when we were little. I started calling her Kel and she called me "Mirns."
17. Where is your favorite place to volunteer/provide community service?
Special Olympics swim meet.
18. What is one hidden talent that you possess?
I love to sing.
19. If time machines were real, and you could choose just one - to travel forward or backward - which would you select and why?
I would like to take a trip into the future to see if I really become a sports newscaster.
20. If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly....who would you pick and what would you ask?
I would ask my grandmother what Heaven is like.