March 19th, 2012
BU's Hobbs Named National Player Of Year
Knights senior named top player by Basketball Times
Bellarmine University senior Braydon Hobbs has been named the national player of the year by Basketball Times, and teammate Jeremy Kendle joined Hobbs and three others on the publication's All-America First Team.
The award for Hobbs marks the first time a Bellarmine player has been recognized as a national player of the year. In all, Basketball Times recognized 15 players on three different All-America squads.
Hobbs is having another stellar year for the Knights, filling the stat sheet in a variety of categories. He averages 12.5 points per game, 3.6 rebounds, 5.6 assists and leads the team in steals and 3-point field goals. The New Albany, Ind., native also is ranked third in the country in assist to turnover ratio at 3.05 to 1.
Hobbs has ranked among the nation's top 10 in that category all four years of his college career.
This year, Hobbs has helped lead the Knights to a 28-3 record, and Bellarmine is back in the NCAA "Elite 8" for the second consecutive year. The is the second major award for Hobbs, who also picked up Great Lakes Valley Conference Player of the Year honors.
Kendle, who collected last year's GLVC Player of the Year Award, also is having a standout year. The junior from Jeffersonville, Ind., is putting up 19.2 points per game while hitting over 57 percent of his shots. He also adds 3.9 rebounds and 3.1 assists per contest.
BASKETBALL TIMES 2011-2012 NCAA DIVISION II ALL-AMERICAN TEAM
- Jet Chang, BYU-Hawaii
- Braydon Hobbs, Bellarmine (Ky.)
- Jeremy Kendle, Bellarmine (Ky.)
- Josh Magette, Alabama-Huntsville
- Taylor Rohde, Alaska-Anchorage
- Malik Alvin, Shaw (N.C.)
- Alex Falk, West Liberty (W. Va.)
- Brett Green, Colorado Mines
- Keane Thomann, Missouri Southern
- Anthony Young, Kentucky Wesleyan
- Stefan Bonneau, C.W. Post (N.Y.)
- Ali Haidar, Michigan Tech
- Adrian Moss, Indianapolis (Ind.)
- D.J. Rivera, Montevallo (Ala.)
- Dwight Tolbert, Lander (S.C.)