March 29th, 2012
"20 Questions" With Caroline McCaslin
Assumption senior takes on the Questions
Name: Caroline McCaslin
- Age: 17
- Current school: Assumption High School
- Parish/grade school attended: North Oldham Middle School
- Sports playing: Cross country and track
- GPA: 4.0
- College attending: Elon University.
1. What is your proudest athletic moment?
My proudest moment was when my team and I qualified for Nike Cross Nationals in Portland, Oregon. It was a fantastic experience to qualify and compete at such a high level.
2. What is your ideal meal/snack before a meet?
I always eat Cinnamon Life cereal before important meets.
3. If you were trying out for American Idol, what would be your "go to" song?
I’m horrible at singing but if I had to I would sing “Paranoia In B Flat Major” by The Avett Brothers.
4. Which athlete do you look up to on a college/professional level? Why?
I really admire Kara Goucher for her determination. Also she is very easy to relate to because she struggles with confidence like many other athletes. Recently, Kara qualified for the U.S. Olympic Marathon team, beating out women much younger than she was. I can’t wait to watch her compete in the Olympics in August!
5. What is your favorite movie quote?
“It’s not that bad...Well, I'm not saying I'd like to build a summer home here, but the trees are actually quite lovely.” The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies.
6. How does your faith impact your approach to sports?
My coach, Barry Haworth, gives us a slip of paper to put in our racing spikes with Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Barry gives us this verse to remind us to trust in God during races.
7. What is your favorite cartoon character?
I don’t really have a favorite cartoon character.
8. All time favorite board game?
I’m a pretty big fan of Monopoly.
9. Droid, iPhone, or Blackberry? Favorite app?
I don’t have a smart phone but my favorite app is Scrabble.
10. What is your favorite local (non chain) restaurant in Louisville?
I love going to Heine Brothers.
11. What is your favorite reality TV show?
I really like Say Yes to the Dress on TCL. I avoid Jersey Shore like the plague.
12. What is your greatest fear?
I’m afraid of drowning, which is very problematic because I plan on being a marine biologist.
13. What is your best quality/characteristic?
I always plan ahead for things. I hate procrastinating.
14. Favorite junk/comfort food?
I have an unhealthy obsession with Samoas.
15. What is your favorite hour of the day? Why?
I love practice after school. Yes, some practices are pretty tough but I love spending time with my teammates.
16. What is your nickname and how did you get it?
A teammate gave me the nickname “Curly-line” because I always bump into people when I run due to my inability to run in a straight line. I can’t really say I’ve fixed the problem.
17. Where is your favorite place to volunteer/provide community service?
I am a volunteer at the Louisville Zoo during the summer.
18. What is one hidden talent that you possess?
I am really good at doing jigsaw puzzles. I take pride in my nerdy ways!
19. If time machines were real, and you could choose just one - to travel forward or backward - which would you select and why?
I would love to travel back in time because I love studying history.
20. If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask?
I would love to ask Stephen Colbert of the Colbert Report, about how he stays in character during his show. He has an amazing ability to keep a straight face while asking his guests ridiculous questions. It’s one of my favorite shows.