January 17th, 2013
"20 Questions" with Whitney Hartlage
Mercy sharpshooter tackles the questions this week
Each week, LouisvilleCatholicSports.com will be getting to know a new student-athlete from the area by asking him/her a series of 20 questions that will provide insight into the thoughts and personalities of the boys and girls who are doing great things on and off the local courts, fields, tracks, and courses. To see past editions of "20 Questions," please click here.
Name: Whitney Hartlage
Current school: Mercy Academy
Current Sports playing: Basketball
Parish/grade school attended: St. Nicholas Academy
High school GPA: 4.0
Colleges considering or attending: University of Tennessee- Chattanooga
1. What is your proudest athletic moment? Winning State in 2010.
2. What is your ideal meal/snack before a game? Peanut butter and jelly sandwich along with a orange or some kind of fruit.
3. If you were trying out for American Idol, what would be your "go to" song? "I Don't Wanna Be" by Gavin Degraw because it's the theme song for one of my favorite shows, One Tree Hill.
4. Which athlete do you look up to on a college/professional level? Why? Gorgui Dieng who plays for Louisville is one of my favorite. I like how he hustles and never gives up on a play. He also shows great sportsmanship.
5. What is your favorite movie quote? Big Daddy. Homeless Guy, "Sonny was real nice to the kid. Wish my father was like him. My father was a military man. Guess I wasn't such a good soldier. Anyways, when I was 35, he tried to give me a crew cut while I was asleep. I woke up, broke his arm, haven't seen him since."
6. How does your faith impact your approach to sports? Before every game our team says the Hail Mary.
7. What is your favorite cartoon character? Winnie the Pooh.
8. All time favorite board game? Trouble.
9. Droid, iPhone, or Blackberry?Favorite app? Droid and Twitter.
10. What is your favorite local (non chain) restaurant? PRP Pizza.
11. What is your favorite reality TV show? Keeping up with the Kardashians.
12. What is your greatest fear? Public speaking.
13. What is your best quality/characteristic? I try my hardest at everything I do.
14. Favorite junk/comfort food? Coffee cakes.
15. What is your favorite hour of the day? Why? Around 8:00 pm because that's when I am home from practice and I get to relax and spend time with my family.
16. What is your nickname and how did you get it? My nickname is Whit and I guess people started calling me that at a young age because it's short for Whitney.
17. Where is your favorite place to volunteer/provide community service? Indian Summer Camp. This is a camp for children who have dealt with cancer.
18. What is one hidden talent that you possess? I have a pretty sick back-hand in ping pong.
19. If time machines were real, and you could choose just one - to travel forward or backward - which would you select and why? I would go backwards because history fascinates me.
20. If you could pick one person, dead or alive, and ask them just one question that they had to answer honestly, who would you pick and what would you ask? Jordyn Wieber and I’d ask her what it was like to win a gold medal.