July 2nd, 2015

Year in review: Wrestling

Block_screenshot 2018-10-06 at 2

Conor Revell

Staff Writer

Year in review: Wrestling
Trinity's wrestling placed third / photo by Conor Revell

The Louisville Catholic Sports Network chronicles the 2014-15 sports year in review. We will bring you every sport, every season, every team’s season ending results in a capsule until we're finished.

Going into the wrestling season, many had high hopes for the LCSN teams as Trinity was ranked No. 1 in the preseason polls and St. Xavier was No. 2. As the season progressed, some drama happened and injuries occurred.

But, both the Tigers and Shamrocks qualified for the state meet. It was Trinity that saw three grapplers bring home state championships.


The Colts placed 11th at the Third Region meet and 55th at the state meet. Luke Polin, Joshua Garner, and Tommy Nauert qualified for the state tournament as individuals.

Polin won his first match at state but lost his next and was eliminated from 106 pound bracket.

Garner won his first match, lost his second but proceeded to win his next two match yet didn’t place in the 160 pound weight class.

Nauert won his first match in the 220 pound weight class but lost his next two and was eliminated without placing.

Holy Cross

The Cougars finished last at the Third Region meet. Nathan Hess was the only wrestler this year and posted a 5-9 record.

St. Xavier

The Tigers had high hopes but some midseason drama changed everything.

Dominic Lampe, a two time state champion, was suspended 10 percent of the season for breaking the schools tobacco policy. That meant he was going to have to sit out the regional tournament therefore eliminating his chance of winning a third straight state title.

But the Tigers would be alright and wounded up winning the Fourth Region meet and placed eighth at the state meet.

Nathan Haddad was the only St. X wrestler to advance to the final round.

“Nathan is the epitome of what we want out of a wrestler,” St. X head coach Jim Kraezig said. “He wants to be a Midshipmen, and he should do great wrestling for them. He’s a really great young man to look up to and I’m proud of him.”

Haddad, who had never placed before this year, lost a 4-2 decision to Ryle’s Johnny Meiman in the championship match of the 160-pound class.

“I just tried to wrestle every day nonstop and went to every event that I could go to,” Haddad said. “I continued to press every day in order to get better.”


After finishing second at the Fourth Region meet, the Rocks came out and placed third at state. Keegan Duncan, Ben Barton and Tyler Frankrone led the way and won state championships.

“We had adversity right at the start of the season because Landon Corolla tore his ACL during football and was ranked No. 3, so we lost him,” Rudolph said. “We were ranked No. 1 in the preseason because of him. Then we lost Chase Smith and Steven Matheny. For what we did, and for what we went through, I’m tickled to death today.”

Duncan (49-1) defeated Fern Creek’s A.J. Binder (65-6) in a 3-1 decision to win the 132-pound class.

“For me, it was all about confidence,” Duncan said. “I had to trust that my coaches put me through the proper training and keep the pace up because I felt like I was in better shape than him. I never let him rest and I wasn’t going to let him win.”

This was Duncan’s fifth state tournament but his first title. He wrestled as a seventh and eighth grader for North Oldham before transferring to Trinity. 

Barton, wrestling in his third state tournament, won the 152-pound weight when he took down Andrew Ackley of Nelson County in a 9-5 decision.

“I just wanted to wrestle my game and last as long as I could,” Barton said. “I had to stay outside of him, because he was much bigger than me, and stay fast.”

Rudolph was ecstatic. .

“I’ve know that kid (Barton) since he was 6 or 7 years old because I coached his older brother Jake,” Rudolph said. “We used to call him Cottontop because he had that blond head when he came in. He’s the hardest working kid I have every worked with. He comes in every day and puts in the extra work. For me to get to see that smile on his face, it was awesome.”

Frankrone won his second consecutive state title at 182 pounds by beating Moore’s Mikey Smith via a 6-1 decision.

“Battle,” Frankrone said about getting his victory. “I had the same ol’ motto as last year. That’s to do the best I could do. If I get it done, I get it done. At least I did my best.”

Last year Frankrone had bronchitis during the state tournament and found himself fighting it off again last week.

“For the most part he was healthy,” Rudolph said. “He was taking antibiotics until last night. It was like, ‘Are we ever going to get healthy?’ But he had no physical injury this year like he did last year with the ankle injury. That was good.”



Recent Articles