January 13th, 2017
St. Xavier alum Justin Thomas shoots 59 at Sony Open
For any casual golfer, we’ve all those days filled with slices, duffs and duck-hooks for nine or more holes. We stare at our scorecard and there’s a “generous” 59, or higher, tallied for a front nine.
For the pros, 59 is a magical number. Few have accomplished the feat in a professional tournament, in fact only six golfers have shot a round under 60 with Jim Furyk achieving it twice shooting a 59 and a record 58 last year in the Travelers Championship.
Now that club contains seven men and eight sub-60 rounds thanks to St. Xavier alum Justin Thomas’ brilliant effort Thursday afternoon at the Sony Open following up on his title run this past Sunday at the Tournament of Champions.
He accomplished the task with close friends Jordan Spieth and Daniel Berger playing alongside him. Spieth and Thomas have been friends since their junior golf days, college rivals at Texas (Spieth) and Alabama (Thomas) and now pros who are making history.
Thomas, St. X class of 2011, is carving up the Hawaii courses like the volcanic molten lava that helped create them. As a junior, he won the 2009 Kentucky State Golf Tournament and was a four-year star for the Tigers.
Hard to believe that just six years ago he was the subject of LCSN’s weekly “20 Questions” feature as asked by former LCSN editor Chris Jung.
We thought it would be fun to take a look back at his replies to our standard 20 Questions. While we’re sure several of the answers would be a little different, like the reply to his “proudest moment”, we look forward to him making more history as one of the world’s best golfers.
Justin Thomas’ 20 Questions feature – originally published Nov. 18, 2010
1. What is your favorite pump up music on game day?
Any rap, usually Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane or Waka Flocka
2. What is your ideal meal/snack before a game?
Whatever is in front of me or if I'm in the mood for something, nothing special.
3. Cats or Cards?
4. Which athlete do you look up to on a college/professional level?
Rory McIlroy, Tiger Woods, Rickie Fowler and J.B. Holmes
5. What is your favorite movie quote?
"Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion." – Wedding Crashers
6. How does your faith impact your approach to sports?
It helps me knowing God has a plan for me regardless of what I do. I just have to try my all and hope for the best.
7. What keeps you motivated?
The motivation to be the best.
8. All time favorite board game?
9. Blackberry or iPhone?
10. Favorite Facebook function?
11. What is your favorite reality TV show?
12. Which golf club do you use the most efficiently? Why?
Wedges, because you need them a lot during a round and I work the hardest on them.
13. What is your best quality/characteristic?
I am easy to get along with.
14. Gatorade or Powerade? Which flavor?
Powerade - yellow.
15. What is your favorite hour of the day?
Whatever time I’m eating dinner.
16. First person (besides your family) that you told about your Ryder Cup selection?
Friends that were around me at the Junior PGA
17. Where is your favorite place to volunteer/provide community service?
18. What is one hidden talent that you possess?
19. What is one thing you wish scientists would invent?
Something that would do homework for you, yet you still learned it, if that's even possible.
20. What is your proudest athletic moment?
Making the 2010 Junior Ryder Cup team