October 17th, 2017

Colts season ends with overtime loss

Block_screenshot 2018-10-06 at 2

Conor Revell

Managing Editor

Colts season ends with overtime loss
DeSales' Jared Ecken looks to head a ball / photo by Conor Revell

The DeSales soccer team found out Tuesday night that the ball sometimes doesn’t bounce your way and the results can be heartbreaking.

Southern’s Yunis Kerow scored the golden goal in overtime to end the Colts season with a 2-1 loss in the quarterfinals of the Sixth Region Tournament.

“I thought the guy was able to clear out a lot of space with his hands,” DeSales head coach Shiloh Rayburn said. “He had the room to put the ball in the net. I hate to say that but that’s what I saw to be honest with you. They were in the right position. But you can never blame a referee for a loss.”

Kerow created space in the box and blasted a shot past DeSales goalkeeper Caleb Smith ending the game with 2:58 left in the first extra period.

It was the Colts (12-7-1) first regional tournament appearance since 2014 as the current seniors were freshmen then.

“These guys are my brothers,” DeSales senior Dylan Clark said. “They cheered me on at every game and had my back. The coaches were always there. It’s something amazing to be a part of.”

Southern (12-3-4) also won 2-1 against the Colts in the regular season.

Other than a few mishaps, DeSales controlled possession most of the game.

“I thought we controlled most of the game truthfully,” Rayburn said. “We got the goal but they got the goal back because all of their goals are on direct plays. We basically did control the game and ball and we controlled the midfield. I thought we executed the game plan and had plenty of opportunities.”

Matthew Dick put the Colts up 1-0 less than 10 minutes into the game on a breakaway that Southern goalkeeper Nicholas Pearson had no chance of collecting.

“We had a corner thanks to Chad O’Brian,” Dick said. “There were some defenders on that side. I realized I was wide open and he made a good ball. I took the shot and made it.”

David Byosse broke free and scored the equalizer off a Prince Byshino assist to tie the game at one with 31:34 to go.

“It seems like Southern tends to hit a lot of their shots,” Rayburn said. “Maybe it’s just against us. No. 7 is a absolute monster and had a great shot to tie this game up. He created havoc all day long and we gave him space.”

The Colts had their chances firing 10 shots and earning five corners. Perarson made three saves.

Smith saved four of the Trojans seven shots who also earned two corners.

“We kept up with them, everybody stepped up,” Clark said. “The defense played great. I couldn’t ask for a better performance from my teammates. Southern got a lucky shot off in overtime and we weren’t ready for it.”

Perhaps the Colts best chance to go up a goal in the second half was when Luke Harlow’s shot hit the top-post and sailed out of bounds.

“Everybody wanted to win this game,” Dick said. “The seniors are really upset and that’s what makes me most upset about this loss. I feel like that everybody laid it out on the field though.”

The Trojans advance to the Sixth Region semifinals and will face Pleasure Ridge Park at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at DeSales.

Rayburn and the Colts say goodbye to 13 seniors.

“They were a solid group and made this transition a lot easier,” Rayburn said. “There were a lot of them. That’s always an important thing. For me, the biggest thing was being able to coach those guys, my son, and we created a lot of memories.” 


Recent Articles