August 27th, 2018

Tigers use late rally to beat KCD

Block_screenshot 2018-10-06 at 2

Conor Revell

Managing Editor

Tigers use late rally to beat KCD
St. X's Clayton Stanberry / photo by Conor Revell

St. Xavier’s top-ranked soccer team was in a world of hurt and couldn’t find a way to place the ball in the back of the net.

But, that changed in a hurry, the visiting Tigers scored four goals in the last 11:45 to dispatch Kentucky Country Day Monday Night.

“I’m proud of our guys, we never really panicked,” St. X head coach Andy Schulten said. “For part of the time we didn’t adjust to the field we were on. We’re used to training at our facilities and it’s a lot faster than grass. We had fits with it and we were kind of frustrated. Once KCD took that lead, the emotions kind of got involved. Credit to our guys for trusting each other and believing that the goals were going to happen.”

Trailing 2-1, St. X’s John Frisbie headed in a corner kick from A.J. Chastonay with 11:45 to play to tie the game.

“We got a second corner in a row,” Frisbie said. “A.J. played me a dime, that’s usually where I make my runs, I usually run on the back post, but I’ll make front post runs too. The ball was up and I popped up and put it in.”

The route was on.

Conner George scored his second goal of the game from 20 yards out and sent the ball flying over the Bearcats goalkeeper Greg Murphy’s head to make it 3-2 with 10:25 left.

“I just kicked the ball,” George said. “I don’t even know how I made that goal. I saw that I had a crack and it went in.”

Ryan Nichols miraculously sent his own corner kick into the net as went over Murphy’s head and into the left side to put KCD (3-3) in a 4-2 hole with 3:12 remaining.

“Honestly, that goal was supposed to be a cross,” Nichols said. “But it went right in front of the goalie and nobody touched it and it went in.”

Case Cox finished it off when the Bearcats committed a handball just outside of the box and blasted a free-kick to make it 5-2 St. X (5-0) with 5:02 to go.

KCD’s Matthew Seran scored off a Alex Pollitt pass with 5.3 ticks on the clock to decide the final score. ‘

The first 68:15 of the game was a lot different.

George, who is suffering from a fractured back over the summer, scored his first goal of the season to make it 1-0 with 22:34 left before halftime.

“It’s feels good to finally score,” George said. “I want more now. I want to get back to 100 percent and decent shape.”

Schulten was pleased to see his Mr. Soccer candidate score.

“That was perfect,” Schulten said. “He still has a long road ahead of him. He’s not anywhere close to being back to full strength but I’ll take him at 75 percent. He can put the ball back at the net. Tonight, my plan was to play him 15 minutes in each half and he responded perfectly. He’s getting there, but he’s not there yet.”

The Bearcats Zach Schonwetter scored the equalizer when he scored off a Pollitt assist with 12 left to play in the opening half.

Schonwetter then broke away and scored to make it 2-1 with 35:22 remaining.

The Tigers had plenty of chances throughout the game firing 12 shots at Murphy (two saves) and was rewarded with 10 corner kicks.

“We have to work on corner kicks,” Schulten said. “We scored on two of those though. That was our fifth goals off corner kicks. Real proud of the persistence on that. We like to attack on that. I told our guys that set pieces will be what might kill us, but it also might be what get us a championship. We haven’t really worked on those yet.”

KCD blasted eight shots at St. X goalkeeper Dolan Dugan (two saves), but didn’t get one single corner kick.


Recent Articles