October 3rd, 2019

Rocks Stage Furious Rally to Stun Ballard

Jeff Woods 

Staff Writer 

Rocks Stage Furious Rally to Stun Ballard
Rocks make late comeback and defeat Bruins/ photo by Jeff Woods

It took Trinity 73 minutes to score on Ballard Wednesday night. But once the Rocks started, they couldn’t stop.

On Senior Night, the Shamrocks scored three goals in the final seven minutes of regulation to beat a stunned Ballard squad 3-2.


“It’s great. It’s one of a kind,” said sophomore Rudy Garcia, who scored the game-winning goal. “It truly shows the spirit of the school and the ability to lift each other up and come back from such a poor first half.”


“I’ve never seen it happen when we were down like that,” said Trinity head coach Dale Helfrich. “The character and heart these guys showed on Senior Night in front of their family and friends, they saw how much it meant to them and how important it was. I’m really proud of them for getting the job done because they deserve it.”


Trailing 2-0, Nolan Durbin ended the Shamrocks’ scoring funk in the 73rd minute to cut the deficit to 2-1. In the 78th minute, a Ballard foul led to a penalty kick for Jack Fischer, which he converted to draw even with the Bruins 2-2. Less than a minute later, Garcia completed the comeback with just his second goal of the season.


“It was just a cross and it kind of just bounced to me. It just came to me naturally, and it was a great goal,” said Garcia.


“Credit to Ballard. They had a good game plan, and I think maybe caught us off the high of the Senior Night festivities a little bit flat,” said Helfrich. “But credit to our guys for responding the way they did.”


The Bruins sprinted out to an early 2-0 lead when Dino Hodzic and Nati Hamilton each scored in the first 12 minutes of the match.


“They tried to catch us off the counter, and they have a few quality players that can unlock us like that,” said Helfrich. “Again, credit to our guys for coming back when the game was there in the balance and got the all-important goals.”


However, not all is well for the Shamrocks. Late in the second half, Helfrich and senior Jeremy Mason were issued red cards and ejected from the match. Per KHSAA bylaws, Helfrich now faces a three-game suspension while Mason must sit out two games. Trinity has one regular-season game left before starting postseason play next week.


“I don’t think either (red cards) were warranted. There was no vulgar language from myself or from (Jeremy). What the referee told me he said came from another player. He didn’t see it come from his mouth, so that’s concerning. (Jeremy’s) a great kid and he didn’t deserve a red card on Senior Night.


Trinity closes out the regular season on Saturday at Covington Catholic.


Recent Articles